Thursday, 24 May 2007

Vox Populi

You didn't let me down. Here are a selection of the responses I received to my call for suggestions of conspiratorial fictions, in which parapolitical realities nestle uneasily amidst futurist absurdity. I have several suggestions of my own to follow, but for the time being let's turn the stagelights up and hand the mic to the drunken, semi-lunatic crowd... (You know I don't mean that.)

I hope to make this a regular feature, so should anything below provoke further rumination please let me know.

My good friend SB makes the following suggestion, which will be familar to readers of Icke's Tales from the Time Loop:

'I wonder if you have seen the movie Monsters Inc.? Its a Disney Pixar movie about a corporation called Monsters Inc. which scares children, extracting energy from them in order to power the monster's world...I think children's movies and literature are really pushing the theme of inter-dimensional bad guys who feed off our energies...'

And from the flamboyant pen of BTB regular Michael:

'This idea, the myth of underground denizens, from H. G. Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs and on, it does have a certain creepy and even romantic fascination, I admit... Even the bible mentions them: "And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth..." Rev 5:13.

'And lets not forget the Matrix, with it's underground "Zion".'

The tireless Todd Campbell, who has his own blog, Peering Through, breaks from the pack with 'an odd little sci-fi novel from 1898 called Edison's Conquest of Mars' (conceived as the sequel to 'War of the Worlds', apparently.) This, Todd reliably informs me, 'includes reptile-like Martians and a 40 foot tall woman from Ceres.'

http://durendal.org:8080/ecom/ecom.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison

He also offers the following, which I have not yet had time to look up myself- so if anyone would like to do so on my behalf and let me know what riches lie therein, feel free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_Mine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_Lost_(1974_television_series)

We will probe the further reaches of the postbag tomorrow...

No comments: