Tuesday, 24 March 2009

'Genius of medieval church builders rediscovered in Suffolk...'


'It is an unforgettable moment. As the sun traverses the sky its light is suddenly focused into an intense beam which illuminates a carving of Christ on the Cross.

This is not a scene from an Indiana Jones film, however, but a stirring piece of visual synchronicity that dates from medieval times.

At the spring and autumn equinox, the setting sun hits a window at Holy Trinity Church in Barsham, Suffolk, and illuminates the 5ft carving for four spellbinding minutes.

The spectacle dates back to the 1300s, when the narrow window was built in the church tower, but it was lost for centuries.

It was only rediscovered recently by the village church's assistant curate, the Reverend John Buchanan, who spotted it by chance.

On Friday, the church was packed with visitors to witness the phenomenon on this year's spring equinox.'

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1163929/Revelation-Genius-medieval-church-builders-rediscovered-crucifix-illuminated-twice-year.html

4 comments:

VegasAnomaly said...

Ben,
I don't know how I finally got to read my daily B page(s). I have been trying for days, and kept getting the message that my permission was expired. Help....I look forward to reading my "B" pages, and well....I miss reading them... Hope all is well with you, and thanks for all of your hard work.

Kindest Regards,
Vegasgirl07

Michael said...

How perfect. I just today drove by the church sign of Holy Trinity Lutheran in Kirkland, that proclaimed:

SUN WORSHIP 11AM
SHARE THE GOOD NEWS

Cheers, Michael

Anadæ Effro said...

Hey! Yesterday's comment never printed. Oh well. Here I go ungen. Ben, this finding is eerily similar to my own Anglican church growing up in NY state. Someone must have brought the same alchemy with them from Albion to the Colonies, the former host (or shall I say Host?) to many an ancient Mystery reenacted over the millennia.

I never witnessed the ray of light illuminating the King of Kings as He looks down from His lofty appointment high above the congregation my(s)elf, and my previous house of worhip was only completed in the 1930s, not the fourteenth century, as in the Suffolk's one, but I'm certain that the spectacle is awe-inspiring.

Loving the Light still,
Anadæ Effro ( :-)}

Anadæ Effro said...

The hyper link for the 25th's offering (Anglican church) for some reason broken above, should've been linked here:

http://ccbny.org/

One of my fondest Sunday hymns was & is still William Blake's Jerusalem. The British Christian mystic, the vastness of whose oeuvre as poet as well as water-colourist is legendary, penned the poem in 1804, but it wasn't 'til 1916 that composer Hubert Parry set it to a rousing hymn, thus:

Jerusalem

by William Blake

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?
Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire.
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

It was even featured in the sci-fi cult classic The Man Who Fell To Earth, David Bowie clumsily rendering the song in a Sunday service with his character's mistress, played by Candy Clarke.

Prog rock gods Emerson, Lake & Palmer featured it as the opening track to their Lp Brain Salad Surgery, the cover of which first debuted horror genre artist HR Giger's work to the world years ahead of his Alen creation for the 1979 Ridley Scott blockbuster.

Funnily enough, I was just partaking in a thread on British Israelism elsewhere when you posted this article on the medieval Suffolk genius's having appointed the Corpus Christi in the line of sunlight so long ago as they did. Thanks again, Ben ~ AE ( :-)}