Saturday, 11 July 2009

'Bono: I was inspired by the Virgin Mary...'

'The Irish singer Bono has revealed that he was inspired by the Virgin Mary while writing the U2 album No Line on the Horizon.

In an interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Bono said: "The song 'Magnificent'; was inspired by the Magnificat, a passage from the Gospel of Luke in the voice of the Virgin Mary that was previously set to music by Bach. There's this theme running through the album of surrender and devotion."

Bono has previously said that his faith gives him "the strength to get up every day and put forth 100 percent of my energy."

He celebrated his 20th wedding anniversary with his wife, Alison, earlier this year.

'Magnificent' was originally called 'French Disco' but was renamed in later recording sessions.'

Source: The Catholic Herald

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll get no awards for saying it but I'm going to...

U2 blow. Bono blows. How these gazillionaires managed to write and continue to perform a song such as Bullet The Blue Sky whilst keeping a straight face just amazes me.

Whinging sell-out anti-rock for people scared of proper rock guitar and hair loss... much like the band themselves.

I dare say the Virgin Mary wouldn't be buying U2's latest duffer, should she be re-manifested.

Mark M, in Worcestershire.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I'm not letting this one go without a further comment.

Did the Virgin Mary tell him to shill for Blackberry as well? As if he ain't got enough in his wallet.

Sales are down, bums on seats are not on their seats, so... just as Bill Hicks said... it's "sucking Satan's pecker" time.

Here's a suggestion based on Apple/U2 product proximity: when you see Bono and Bill Gates hawking HIV wonder-jabs around Africa you'll know you are seeing Lucifer and Ahriman up to their dirty biz.

Then again, I could be wrong. Being artistically dead but having access to barrowloads of corporate wonga may be way forward in 2009.

Mark M, in WWWorcestershire.

Ben Fairhall said...

I fully agree, Mark.

I posted this as a further example of 'national apostasy'- of the rape of the Goddess- rather than to endorse Bono's opinions.

The man is a dicksplash of the highest order.



ATB
Ben

Ben Fairhall said...

P.S Thank you for your continually insightful comments. Please keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben. Apologies if I got my Bono contexts in a twist. I know where you're coming from. Not sure if I know where I'm coming from!!!

When criticized, Bono'll play the misunderstood artist card... the can't-do-right-for-doing-wrong billionaire card. And - claiming a divine entity to be the source of his musical inspiration - pretty much gazumps his earth-bound critics. The bloody cheeky sod.

I've said enough about them U2 chumps now. Like your work Ben. You've got some top-notch contributors too! Not me, I'm truly bargain-basement... but trying to ascend.

Mark M, in Worcestershirey